Thursday, September 1, 2011

Fear's Words

Do you remember that day?  The one when you and I were about to go in the water?  The Sweet Grass River was measured at 4 1/2ft deep, and you wanted to cross it with your horse.  Neither of you really wanted to go in the water in the first place, which is how I got you in the first place.  If only you would have just trusted him.  There would be no reason at all for me to remind you of those dreadful few moments for you, and those successful few moments for me.  Do you remember me being with you as Doc took that first step into the water?  Because I was there.  You know I was .  Then when the water got deeper, and deeper.  Past Doc's knee, past his shoulder, then your stirrup, and up your pant leg.  That's when I really got a hold on your mind and I was the one to make you turn around, head back for shore.  I was also deeply consumed in you little cousins mind too.  Do you remember his face when you came back to shore, and were wet up to your knee?  Pure white.  I did that.  Nothing can take the place of me inside of you or anyone else's mind.  It was me that day.  Don't you forget that.  Don't you worry; I'll keep reminding you just in case you try to forget.  Do you remember the words that I put in your head that last long step that Doc took into the water?  I'll remind you:  "You might not make it out of this river".  Remember that that was me doing that to you and nothing else, and don't you EVER forget.  

1 comment:

  1. This gave me goosebumps when you read it in class, and it gave me goosebumps reading it now! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete